Update on LSRA March 2018
The Legal Services Regulatory Authority, in accordance with the provisions of section 13 of the 2015 Act, will regulate the provision of legal services by legal practitioners and will ensure the maintenance and improvement of standards in the provision of such services in the State.
The Authority shall be independent in the performance of its functions.
The Authority will undertake its functions in accordance with the following objectives:
- protecting and promoting the public interest,
- supporting the proper and effective administration of justice,
- protecting and promoting the interests of consumers relating to the provision of legal services,
- promoting competition in the provision of legal services in the State,
- encouraging an independent, strong and effective legal profession, and
- promoting and maintaining adherence to professional principles specified in the Act.
In regulating the provision of legal services by legal practitioners and ensuring the maintenance and improvement of standards in the provision of such services in the State, the Authority will undertake the following specific functions as part of its role:
Keep under review and make recommendations to the Minister and disseminate information in respect of:
- admission requirements of Law Society, Bar Council, HSKI
- availability and quality of education and training incl. ongoing training for the two professions
- LS/BC/HSKI policies in relation to admission / entitlement to practise
- professional codes
- the organisation of the provision of legal services in the State
- Specify the nature and minimum of professional indemnity insurance
- Establish and administer a system of inspection of legal practitioners for purposes of Act
- Receive and investigate complaints
- Maintain a Roll of Practicing Barristers
- Promote public awareness, disseminate information in respect of legal services including their cost.
- Keep Minister informed of developments in respect of the provision of legal services and make recommendations in coordinating and developing policy
- Undertake research on the provision of legal services which may promote an improvement in standards for their provision and public awareness, make recommendations to Minister
- Perform any other functions conferred by the Act or by regulations made under it